Online Commenting Policy
The comments you read should engage you, not turn you off. These guidelines are designed to preserve a level of discussion that is welcoming of all views while allowing for disagreement.
- Be nice. We won’t tolerate posts that insult others by using gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference or disabilities.
- Be yourself. Users who pretend to be other individuals will be banned from the site. Use one identity on the site.
- Be honest. We remove comments if we know them to be false.
- Be appropriate. We won’t tolerate posts that are obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit.
- Be thoughtful. This is a space for conversation, not attacks. Don’t undermine the debate.
- Be discreet. We won’t tolerate posts that violate the privacy of others.
We don’t edit comments, but we reserve the right to remove them if they violate these guidelines. And we reserve the right to remove comments that violate the spirit of these guidelines as well. We regularly patrol comments, but sometimes we’ll miss something. If you think a comment violates our guidelines please flag the comment for moderation and we’ll take a look at it.
By posting a comment, you accept these guidelines and our Terms of Service, available online. We’ll try to give you one warning before removing your commenting privileges. We also reserve the right to remove those privileges without warning. If you have a question or want to discuss why we removed a comment, let us know.
We want to communicate with you in every possible way. Unfortunately, because of recent court decisions, DTH staff cannot post comments on our Web site in any situation. We will still respond to concerns brought up in comment threads, but staff members found commenting on our site face immediate dismissal.