The Daily Tar Heel at a Glance — 121st Year of Publication
- Print and online editions provide the most comprehensive source available about UNC-Chapel Hill news and events, sports and features, and local business advertisers.
- Published Monday through Friday according to the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill class schedule and weekly in the summer totaling 159 publishing days.
- 17,000 copies distributed daily for a total estimated readership of 38,000* of each print issue.
- 215 distribution locations on campus and off campus covering Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham and Chatham County.
- Print and online readership penetrates more than 90 percent* of the campus community.
- Greatest penetration of the 18 to 24 year-old demographic* of any local media buying alternative.
- 68 percent of students and 77 percent of UNC employee readers look specifically at DTH display ads* when looking for a bargain or best buy before shopping and to plan their entertainment outings.
Readership Buying Power
UNC’s employee payroll is more than $1.3 billion annually.
UNC students have an aggregate disposable income of $6.8 million a month after all their regular expenses have been paid.*
Recognized four times nationally since 1999 as the best college newspaper advertising operation.
Awarded the National Pacemaker Award eight times since 1990 recognizing top college daily news operations.
Impressive Roots & Traditions
The DTH launched the careers of many distinguished alumni, including Charles Kuralt, Lou Harris, Jonathan Yardley, Peter Gammons, Cole Campbell, Peter Wallsten, Mary Junck, Thanassis Cambanis, Rolfe Neill, Hugh Stevens, Larry Keith, Thomas Wolfe, Walter Spearman, Susan Miller Fulton, Alan Murray, Edwin Yoder, Karen Jurgensen, Jonathan Daniels, Rob Nelson and many others.
*MORI Research and Consulting.