A.J. OLeary

Articles

Salman Khan

Word on the Street: What is your favorite Christmas song?

The end of November is an exciting time for students in Chapel Hill. Finals are in a couple of weeks, basketball season is beginning and, of course, Christmastime is right around the corner. To ring in the holiday season, staff writer A.J. O’Leary asked a few students what their favorite Christmas songs are.

Healing Hands brings music to hospitals and assisted living facilities. Photo courtesy of Ashley Cantu.

Healing Hands uses music to make a difference

The new organization, Healing Hands, seeks to utilize music as more than just a method of self expression or a way to pass the time — they want to help people forget their troubles, even during their darkest hours. 

UNC MASH is hosting the first CineMASH food and film festival. Photo courtesy of UNC MASH.

Asian-American art and culture will be highlighted at film festival

UNC Mixed AAPI Student's Heritage (MASH), in its efforts to promote Asian-American and Pacific Islander culture, will host its first ever UNC CineMASH event on Friday from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m. The Asian-American film festival will be complete with dumplings and a discussion panel to talk about the issues brought up in the films after the event.

School of Information and Library Sciences hosted a Harry Potter Night Friday.

SILS celebrates Harry Potter with a magical event

Most people abide by certain rules in libraries: don’t talk, whisper if you must and don’t eat or drink. A library would be the last place one would throw a party, especially the library in a highly respected school of library science.  Why then, one might ask, was the School of Information and Library Sciences (SILS) library at UNC packed with people dressed like wizards, all snacking and socializing last Friday? It was Harry Potter Night.

UNC senior Noah Balamucki composed a score to be played during a screening of "Sherlock Jr." at the Carrboro Film Festival. Photo courtesy of Noah Balamucki.

Q&A with UNC senior and music composer Noah Balamucki

The Carrboro Film Festival starts with a blast from the past on Nov. 18 with a screening of Buster Keaton's "Sherlock Jr.," featuring an original score by UNC senior and music composer Noah Balamucki.  Staff Writer A.J. O'Leary spoke to Balamucki about his experiences as a composer. 

Dr. Sönke Johnsen will be speaking at Motorco Music Hall on Tuesday. Photo courtesy of Sönke Johnsen.

Q&A with scientist Sönke Johnsen

Duke biology professor Sönke Johnsen will be giving a talk about his experiences as a scientist and an artist, and where they have overlapped on Tuesday, September 19 at 7pm in Motorco Music Hall.

Media