News

A Year in Review

The first student homicide since Eve Carson, the shocking death of a freshman and the subsequent investigations have dominated headlines. Loss marked others, too, as UNC lost its pristine academic reputation, system leader Bill Friday, and soon, a chancellor.

News

The Year in Review: 2009-2010

The events of a year — the death of a campus leader, a humbling basketball season and legislation with impacts on the UNC campus, to name a few — have inspired our actions, shaped our memories and taught us lessons. We count those events as just some of the many that have had an impact on this community. But as the school year winds down, don’t just look back. Use this guide to catch up on what’s happened and know what to expect next.

The race is on. DTH/Will Cooper
News

Doughnuts to beat Devils?

John O’Connor, Edmund Hall and Justin Sapir (clockwise from top) participate in a doughnut eating contest in the Pit on Monday afternoon. Contestants had one minute to eat as many doughnuts as possible.

News

In Memory: DTH Remembers Lost Alums

On Sept. 11, 2001, six UNC alumni lost their lives in the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. These are profiles of their interests, passions and lives. Karleton D.B. Fyfe -- Class of 1992 Karleton Douglas Beye Fyfe loved to laugh. He loved to be with friends and family. But more than anything, he loved to be alive. "He loved getting up in the morning," said Bill Tammeus, Fyfe's uncle. "He loved life."

News

Bowles, Dole Cruise To Easy Victories

RALEIGH AND SALISBURY -- Democrat Erskine Bowles and Republican Elizabeth Dole will face off in one of the nation's most closely watched U.S. Senate races after defeating their opponents in Tuesday's primaries.The Bowles-Dole race is expected to be one of the key elections in determining which party controls the U.S. Senate in 2003.

More articles »