Zach Daniel White

News

Four Loko ban considered by state, federal officials

After raising safety concerns nationwide, Four Loko and other alcoholic energy drinks might soon disappear from shelves. The N.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission is expected to discuss Thursday Gov. Bev Perdue’s request that retailers in the state voluntarily remove all energy drinks containing alcohol off the shelves.

News

UNC-Charlotte to consider name change

Students at UNC-Charlotte have recently expressed interest in changing the school’s name to the University of Charlotte. The school’s name is being confused with UNC-CH, and UNC-C students are complaining, said Megan Smith, the student body president at UNC-C.

News

Head injuries are new focus in college football

The NCAA has once again put UNC’s football program in the spotlight, but not in a way fans have come to expect. As the issue of football-related head injuries on campuses experiences increased focus, the NCAA has highlighted UNC’s policy of testing student athletes for injury as a model for other universities.

News

Durham-based startup helps entrepreneurs

Two Durham-based entrepreneurs are still in their twenties, but don’t let their age fool you. Aaron Houghton, an alumnus of UNC, and Taylor Mingos, a graduate of Duke University, are already veterans when it comes to entrepreneurship. The men teamed up in July to start Downtown Durham Startups in an effort to connect and promote local entrepreneurs.

News

Ram breed totals falling

After the smoke from the fireworks has cleared from Kenan Stadium and the crowd has left the seats, the blue-horned Rameses makes his four-mile return trip home to Hogan’s Magnolia View Farm.The beloved UNC mascot has been held at the farm since the ram first became the school’s mascot in 1924. The current Rameses spends most of his time there with his wife, Tulip.“The rams are pretty much like your pets, like cats and dogs,” said Rob Hogan, owner of Hogan’s Magnolia View Farm and the fourth generation family ram keeper.

Rental homes less popular in Outer Banks
News

Outer Banks tourists spending less money

Sophomore Lauren Hollowell knows to expect traffic down the Outer Banks’ Route 12 at the start of summer, as tourists from across the state and the country pour into the strip of beaches along North Carolina’s coast.“You usually start to notice around Memorial Day that rental prices go up and there is an increase in traffic,” said Hollowell, who has lived in Kitty Hawk her whole life. “It gets to the point that you don’t really go out Saturday and Sundays.”But this typical picture, Hollowell said, was not the case this year.

News

Senior becomes Army leader

Don’t let the smile and the humble demeanor fool you. Behind the big, white-framed glasses and plaid dress shirt lies the spirit of a rising military star.This summer, Kristi McNair, a senior journalism major from Okinawa, Japan, traveled to Fort Lewis in Washington state for the Army’s 29-day Leader Development and Assessment Course. The cadets were placed under constant judgment as they went through physical training and leadership tests, but McNair excelled under pressure.

News

Gays likelier to smoke, study says

A study published in Tobacco Control’s August edition shows a large disparity in tobacco use by the gay and lesbian populations. The study shows that 33 percent of gay men and 37 percent of lesbian women smoke, compared to the national averages of 24 and 18 percent men and women smokers, respectively.

More articles »