Wednesday October 5th

3 Tar Heels Earn Weekly Awards

Three athletes from North Carolina earned ACC honors for their performances last week.

Senior Kristen McCann was named ACC player of the week in field hockey for the second time this season. McCann scored game-winning goals in victories against Wake Forest and Duke.

Also for the second time this season, freshman Shalane Flanagan was named ACC performer of the week in cross country.

Flanagan won this weekend's UNC Challenge at Finley Golf Course for her third first-place finish in as many races.

Sophomore forward Susan Bush earned the same award in women's soccer. Bush scored three goals -- including the game-winner -- for the first hat trick of her career. She also added two assists.

Tar Heels Compete in Tournament

Four UNC men's tennis players competed at the Southern Collegiates in Athens, Ga., during the weekend.

Aron Breziner advanced to the third round of singles by defeating Georgia State's John Monk. Nicholas Monroe defeated Alex Jundsten of Murray State to reach the second round. Trystan Meniane also lost in the second round.

The tandem of Greg Archer and Monroe led the Tar Heels in doubles play by winning their first-round match 8-7 (7) against a Georgia Tech duo.

Bush, Borgman, Kluegel Nominated

Three members of the UNC women's soccer team are among the 15 finalists for the 10th annual Missouri Athletic Club Collegiate Player of the Year award, the official National Soccer Coaches Association of America award for Division I players.

Junior defender Danielle Borgman, junior midfielder Jena Kluegel and Bush were nominated for the award.

The winner will be selected by a vote of the NSCAA member Division I coaches following the season.

NCSU Game Time to be Set Sunday

The time for the Oct. 14 football game between North Carolina and N.C. State will not be announced until Sunday afternoon.

ABC and ESPN, which could opt to televise the contest, have exercised their contractual right to select that date's ACC games six days prior to kickoff.

The networks usually make final decisions 12 days ahead of time.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022