Boy Scout Case Causes Concern For Aldermen

The United Way supports the Boy Scouts of America and has a policy allowing the organization to deny membership based on sexual orientation. The Supreme Court upheld the Boy Scouts' right to screen its membership in June.

Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said the resolution gives the United Way a year to change its policy to discontinue support of members who discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. If the United Way does not change its policy, the town of Carrboro will no longer support it, she said.

While Carrboro does not contribute funds to the United Way, the town supports it in other ways, such as allowing it to solicit and recruit in the Town Hall, Gist said.

Mary Williams-Stover, vice president of marketing for Triangle United Way, said the organization is included in the campaign for Carrboro, meaning it is one of several organizations to which town employees might contribute money through payroll deductions.

Williams-Stover said the aldermen could exclude the United Way from the campaign if they chose. "We certainly respect their right to make that decision," she said.

Alderman Allen Spalt said the Oct. 10 resolution had the support of the entire board. "It received unanimous support," Spalt said. "Our board is not in support of discrimination and has taken stands against it in the past. So this is consistent with the past."

The board opposes the first component of United Way's two-tier antidiscrimination policy. All member organizations must meet the first tier, known as the minimum standard. This standard does not state that the member must not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

The second tier is called the best practices standard. This standard encourages members to adopt discrimination policies similar to the one United Way uses internally, which mandates that discrimination based on sexual orientation is prohibited, Williams-Stover said.

Gist said the board is not alone in taking issue with the policy. "I know a lot of people are upset about it, and I understand their being upset," she said.

Spalt said he also has heard from some residents about the issue who said they agree with the board's actions.

Despite the board's threat to stop supporting the United Way, the organization will not change its antidiscrimination stance. "At this time, the United Way is not changing its policy; we are continuing to support the Boy Scouts here locally," Williams-Stover said.

The United Way is trying ultimately to look out for the children in the Boy Scouts, she said. "It's important to know the United Way is listening to the feedback from the community," she said.

While both sides adamantly defend their views on United Way's policy, Gist said she expects the conflict will be solved soon. "My feeling is that this thing's going to settle pretty quickly," Gist said. "It's a real issue."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.