BSM King, Queen Ascend Throne At Annual Ball

The two will fill the traditional roles of ambassadors on behalf of UNC's black community and are the probable prospects for Mr. and Ms. UNC, to be crowned at the campuswide Homecoming ceremony. Ms. BSM has been crowned Homecoming Queen for 10 consecutive years.

"Mr. and Ms. BSM are very qualified to represent the BSM as well as the campus community as a whole," said Jokena Smith, BSM vice president.

Jones said the BSM doesn't force anyone to vote in a certain way during Homecoming elections, even though the group has a membership of more than 550.

Lofton beat out one other Mr. BSM candidate, and Hash competed against four other contenders.

Lofton said he wants to redefine the role of Mr. BSM. "I plan on promoting Mr. BSM as a political position rather than a title," he said.

"That's going to be my main objective."

Hash said she hopes to speak out for the black community and to be an ambassador for members of the BSM.

Candidates campaigned last week on campus. Prospective candidates for Mr. and Ms. BSM submitted an application and went through an interview process. The candidates then presented a proposed service project and answered questions in a BSM forum.

Most in attendance at the ball held at the Sheraton Hotel vocalized their support for Hash and Lofton. "It's not everyday you get to see everyone getting together for such a positive cause for the black community," said junior Jason Capel.

This year's race differed from those in the past due to the candidates' involvement in the elections process.

"I was surprised by the scale of the campaigning," Smith said. "This is more than I've seen in the past."

Organizers said they were pleased with this year's coronation ball. The Harmonyx performed twice during the evening, and Lofton and Hash shared the ceremonial royal dance.

"Everything has gone off without a hitch," said Cenita Dobson, a member of the special projects committee that arranged the ball.

"We've had a great turnout."