CAA Installs Sports Ticker in Student Stores

A stream of multicolored words now scrolls across an electronic screen in the window of Student Stores, announcing upcoming athletic events and recent achievements of UNC sports teams.

This new sports ticker, Carolina Athletic Association's most recent initiative, was installed on Wednesday afternoon. CAA officials said the purpose of the sports ticker in the store's window front is to help students stay abreast of UNC's athletics news.

"It is a great way to recognize sporting achievements and promote upcoming athletic events," said CAA Special Projects Co-coordinator Michael Songer.

Songer and Adam Walters, the other special projects coordinator, were responsible for the ticker. The idea was part of the platform for their unsuccessful CAA presidential campaign last year.

"Last winter, we were trying to think of ways to better promote sports," Songer said.

He said they noticed a lack of recognition for UNC's various olympic athletic teams.

Songer and Walters decided the ticker would be an effective way to inform students of game times and recent accomplishments of UNC athletics.

"It's important to have the ticker so students can be aware, like when the women's soccer team won the national championship last year," Walters said. "That's something we would put on there."

CAA presented the idea to the Educational Foundation, which funded the initiative and requested permission from Student Stores to place the ticker in the window facing the Pit.

"The location makes the ticker highly visible to all students," Songer said.

The CAA also plans to use the ticker to announce CAA-sponsored activities, including basketball ticket distributions, Homecoming activities and Beat Dook Week.

The ticker currently features announcements including information about using UNC ONE Cards at Kenan Stadium for concessions, the time of the volleyball game against N.C. State University and congratulatory remarks to the ACC champion field hockey team.

But on its first day of use, the ticker failed to impress students and left many skeptical about its effectiveness.

Sophomore Emily Traub said, "It's a good idea, but it should be more prominently displayed."

Other students agreed with Traub's comments. Senior Scott Benson said, "I like the concept, but the glare is bad - it prevents me from understanding it."

Songer and Walters hope that students will eventually appreciate the sports ticker.

Walters said, "I hope that the ticker will help (students) to be aware of what's going on in athletics."