Campus Y Brings Sensitive Subject To Dinner Table

The Campus Y Dinner Discussion and Criminal Justice Action and Awareness committees hosted a roundtable dinner discussion on racial profiling - the singling out of groups based on racial quotas - as part of Race Relations Week.

The dinner was held to raise awareness of the issue and to discuss possible solutions, said Cianti Stewart-Reid, co-chairwoman of the Dinner Discussion Committee.

Students in attendance represented a wide range of campus groups including the Students for Advancement of Race Relations, the NAACP, CHispA and the Campaign to End the Death Penalty. Other students said they came to the discussion because of the controversial topic.

Public policy Professor Joel Schwartz, the discussion's host, said racism deserves close attention because of its widespread influence.

"This is a broad phenomena that affects many layers within our society," he said. "We can't ignore it."

Much of the debate centered on the "Driving While Black" issue, which was the topic of a study commissioned by the N.C. General Assembly in 1998. The study and discussion focused on black drivers' claims that they were being pulled over and harassed by police officers for no apparent reason except that they were black.

The legislature plans to revisit the issue when it reconvenes in January.

This issue represents a large gray area because it is difficult to prove, Stewart-Reid said.

"A cop can always say he didn't stop a black man just because he is black," she said.

"It's very ambiguous because there is always a way to cover up for yourself."

Because of this ambiguity, students voiced concerns over possible solutions for the problem.

Several students said they believe the key to solving this dilemma lies in education rather than legislation. Kelly Krulisky, a sophomore SARR member, said legislation does not necessarily change people's minds.

"We need to focus our attention on education so that people can understand the issue and change their opinion of it," Krulisky said.

"Then we can work on solving it."

The discussion closed with talk of changes in race relations over the course of a generation.

Many students said racism might have become more subtle since the visible oppression of the 1950s, but that there is a long way to go before it is eradicated.

Sophomore Lindsay Reed said racism has lessened, but it is still in a progressive stage.

"Racism is not over. We are not at the point where we can all be friends yet," Reed said.

"Black people have been getting screwed for a long time, and it's going to take a long time for me to forget and say everything is OK."