CHHS Adds Security to Game Day

The Chapel Hill High School Homecoming football game will resume this afternoon after reported gunfire caused the stadium to be evacuated Friday.

Police have no suspects after a 12-year-old girl was hit in the arm by an unidentified projectile and a 42-year-old man was severely beaten Friday night at the CHHS football game. Both were treated and released from UNC Hospitals that night.

School officials have heightened security procedures by limiting game access to students, staff and families of participants who show proper identification. School officials also said CHHS might use metal detectors at the entrance of the game.

"We regret that we need to take these additional precautions and cause additional time and energy to be expended on these efforts," CHHS Principal Mary Ann Hardebeck said. "However, the safety of our students is our foremost concern.

"We believe that these additional security measures are justified in light of the anxiety created by the incident Friday night," she continued. "We want to do everything possible for players and spectators to feel safe at the game."

Game play against rival Jordan High School will continue at the Tigers' stadium at 4 p.m. from the point when the game was suspended, nearly 30 minutes after halftime.

CHHS teachers also have been forced to react to Friday's incident. They are prepared for students' return from fall break Wednesday with packets including a briefing of facts about the reported gunfire, strategies for coping with the situation and letters from Hardebeck and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Superintendent Neil Pedersen.

The packets will be distributed to students in an extended homeroom period, where they will also be able to freely discuss their feelings with teachers and peers.

"It is important that we try to empower the students on how to make this place better," said CHHS counselor Jeff Reilly.

School counselors also have been available to console students, parents and other community members.

Counselors met with cheerleaders and football players Monday in separate groups to address students' feelings. Officer John Huegerich from the Chapel Hill Crisis Unit was present to brief students on known facts from Friday night's incident.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education members said they will also examine tighter security measures at their next meeting.

"I am certain it will be a topic we will want to discuss (at the next meeting)," said school board member Roger Waldon. "As community members, we are all disappointed, surprised and sad it happened, but grateful that no one was seriously hurt. We are disappointed that it disrupted what was a very important part of school."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.