Conference Draws Students to Address Social Justice Issues

Students United for a Responsible Global Environment, a national network of community and student activists, gathered for their second annual international conference Friday through Sunday, generating a weekend of enthusiasm for activism.

The weekend consisted of guest speakers, 55 issue- and action-based workshops, a free concert and a film festival.

"Ain't no power like the power of the people, 'cause the power of the people don't stop," chanted SURGE coordinators at Friday's kickoff, introducing the conference's central theme. Coordinators said the purpose of the conference was to gather those interested in activism and educate them while discussing potential solutions.

"We're hoping people are going to go to the workshops to be exposed to things they never have before," said coordinator John Johnson.

Johnson said Saturday's workshops were designed to present issues, and Sunday's activities planned action to effect change. "You need to understand how these play off of each other," he said.

SURGE reached out to more people than last year by providing free housing and meals for its participants - ammenities donated by SURGE members, churches, and area restaurants like Weaver Street Market and Artist's Escape Cafe.

Organizers said the conference cost about $11,000, money provided by the Carolina Union Activities Board, student government and various University departments, coordinators said.

Naomi Klein, an activist and journalist from Toronto, gave the keynote speech Friday to launch the conference, speaking out against unjust corporate practices such as sweatshop labor and warning against the growing threat of global corporatization.

The rest of the weekend provided time for participants to contemplate the knowledge they acquired. Dawn Ratcliffe, a worker for a Charlotte-based organic farm, said she came to the SURGE conference to refresh her mind on important issues. "They're all promoting passion and respect for all life," she said.

The conferenec concluded Sunday with a march for women's rights down Franklin Street, which coincided with other similar marches around the world. Activists toted "Stop Sexual Violence" and "Girl Power" signs while chanting phrases such as "Not the church; not the state! Women will decide our fate!"

After the march, organizers felt they had reached their goal of raising awareness. Coordinator Kristine Soriano said, "The SURGE conference is a place for people to share food for thought to nourish our actions."