Female Presence In Prominent Post A First at UNC-CH

Nancy Suttenfield, the new vice chancellor for finance and administration, will finally add a female face among many men in top administrative positions at the University.

Although there are women such as UNC-system President Molly Broad, and N.C. State University Chancellor Marye Ann Fox in high-ranking positions across the UNC system, Suttenfield's selection marks the first woman appointment in a top administrative role at UNC-Chapel Hill.

And members of the UNC-CH community say they see the hire as a step in the direction of gender equality. "The area of finance and administration has always been a male bastion," said Sue Estroff, Faculty Council chairwoman.

Estroff said UNC-CH has some female vice chancellors, but none of those women hold positions where they make decisions applicable to everyone on campus.

Jane Brown, a professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and former faculty chairwoman, said Suttenfield will be playing a major role in UNC-CH's operations.

"It is an extremely important post," she said. "The vice chancellor (for finance and administration), the chancellor and the provost are the three most important people in the administration."

But students and faculty said the implications of hiring Suttenfield go far beyond her immediate impact.

Sandi Chapman, Student Congress speaker pro tem, said not enough has been done to hire women and minorities for administrative positions.

"It is really important that UNC breaks down barriers preventing women or minorities from attaining high positions," Chapman said.

She said that by hiring a woman for a top administrative position, more people at the University can realize women's ability to hold such positions.

"The more people see women in leadership positions, the more comfortable they become with that picture."

Bill Friday, former UNC-system president, said he saw the decision to hire Suttenfield as indicative of UNC-CH's open-mindedness in hiring women.

"From the recent appointment, one can see that the abilities and competencies of professional women have been recognized by the University."

Sue Kitchen, vice chancellor for student affairs and one of UNC-CH's highest ranking women, said both late Chancellor Michael Hooker and present Chancellor James Moeser have expressed commitment to diversity.

"We are seeing these results (the hiring of more women) from the last four years across the board - it is a nice feeling."

Junior Erica Smiley said she is encouraged by UNC-CH's willingness to hire a woman for the post.

"I think (Suttenfield) can make a really strong impact if she goes above and beyond," she said.

Smiley, who ran for student body president last spring, said Suttenfield has a chance to open the doors to all women looking to move up in the administrative world.

"It will be on her to support these types of hiring practices (of tapping women for high-level administrative positions)," she said. "She will really have to support outreach and affirmative action practices through her financial and hiring practices.

"That is what got her here."