Tuesday October 4th

Field Hockey Survives Overtime at Wake

WINSTON-SALEM - North Carolina senior forward Kristen McCann scored her third goal of Tuesday evening's game with 11:04 remaining in the first overtime period to give the Tar Heels a 4-3 win against fourth-ranked Wake Forest.

UNC, ranked third, improved to

13-1 on the season and will host No. 5 Michigan on Friday at 2 p.m.

Wake's Jenny Everett scored first, with 27:17 remaining in the first half, but McCann tied the game with an unassisted goal less than two minutes later.

McCann then added another goal, on an assist by senior Jana Toepel, to put the Tar Heels up 2-1 with 19:31 to go before halftime.

Wake tied the score 90 seconds into the second half on a goal by Carrie Neidhardt. UNC junior Abbey Woolley scored with 13:04 remaining to give the lead back to the Tar Heels, but Wake's Jennie Shelton scored with 5:21 left that sent the game into overtime.

McCann's third goal, assisted by Woolley, came with 11:04 left in the period and was the only shot taken by either team in overtime.

Doherty to Hold Tryout

North Carolina will conduct an open student body tryout for one nonscholarship position on the men's basketball team, UNC coach Matt Doherty announced Tuesday.

The two-practice tryout is scheduled for Oct. 17 and 18 at 7 p.m. in the Smith Center.

Students interested in trying out for the team must be juniors or seniors and should come ready to compete in basketball shoes and workout clothes.

Also, assistant coach Doug Wojcik will conduct tryouts for the junior varsity squad on Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. at the Smith Center. Only freshmen and sophomores are eligible to try out.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022