Final Deadline Today for Senior Gift Ideas

The deadline, which was last Friday, has been extended to today because of the meager responses officials have received.

Senior Class President Jason Cowley said he recalls only about four or five responses being received by the original deadline."We decided to send out another e-mail on the (senior class) listserv and push back the deadline," Cowley said.

Some seniors said a lack of time or the gift's low priority in their daily lives were reasons for not submitting ideas.

Senior Stephanie Gilbert, of Cherryville, said she questioned the effectiveness of e-mailing an idea.

"I didn't submit because I figured that most of the time that people who head committees will select their own ideas," she said.

But Cowley said seniors will be fully involved in the decision process.

"Depending on how many ideas are received, the marshal group will narrow down the list to four or five," he said. "The list will be sent on the senior class listserv to be voted on."

Cowley said this method differs from previous years, during which seniors voted on the class Web page.

"We sat down and examined the feasibility of taking time to vote on the Web site," said Sherilynn Black, senior class vice president. "(The listserv) helps as many students as possible get their input heard."

Black added that those seniors who want to be included on the listserv can e-mail either Cowley at cowley@email.unc.edu or Black at sjblack@email.unc.edu.

Seniors also will have the opportunity to vote Oct. 16 to Oct. 20 at the senior marshal table in the Pit during Senior Week.

Students can also submit their ideas to senior Brandi Hamlin at hamlin@email.unc.edu.

Senior marshal Meg Smothers said they would like to announce the winning idea at a senior class party held during Senior Week.

And after solidifying what the gift will be, the next step is deciding how to raise the money to fund the project.

Cowley said, "Extensive fund-raising both within the class and outside the class will be used."