Flier Circulates Rumors About Drug Searches

The flier, which was presented as a bill passed by the "Legislative Assembly of the State of North Carolina," stated that "N.C. law enforcement agents may search residential halls on campuses of public universities for illegal substances at any time with or without a warrant ... "

It goes on to explain the penalties imposed on residents found to possess drugs or drug-related paraphernalia.

Rebecca Casey, assistant director of housing, said she is not sure of the flier's source.

"It wasn't released by the housing department, but we are investigating who is responsible for it," she said.

Hinton James Area Director Jarrid Friedman said that the flier is false, and that officials are still searching for those responsible for the fliers' distribution.

"The police don't just come in, they must smell something suspicious (like marijuana) or have probable cause," he said.

Jeff McCracken, deputy director of public safety, said the flier's information is not consistent with police procedure. "I haven't seen the flier, but its contents are false," he said.

"A policeman cannot enter a dorm room without probable cause or a search warrant."

According to the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance, residence hall rooms can be searched in three situations -- in cases of extreme emergency, in cases of investigation for a suspected violation of state or federal law or in instances of concern for health and safety.

Some Hinton James residents said the fliers did worry them initially, saying they were afraid random searches would violate their personal rights.

"It would be a complete invasion of privacy for the police to just barge in and search your room," said John Marx, a sophomore resident.

Sophomore Matthew Woody said he was also concerned about the flier's warning.

"I understand that the police have a right to check, but it is a violation of our constitutional rights if they come in without a reason."

Friedman said an investigation of the flier's source is being conducted.

He said only Hinton James staff is allowed to distribute fliers in the residence halls.

"I think it was probably written by a student just trying to freak out other students."