George W. Bush The Right Choice For U.S. Taxpayers

My family and I are one of those hard-working families Al Gore always talks to, courting our votes. To be informed about our presidential candidates I've seen all three debates, read articles about their proposals and explored both Web sites.

In the last debate, the candidates were asked how their tax cuts would benefit an individual. Mr. Gore responded that if you do this or if you do that or if you did something else you would get a tax break. Mr. Bush replied that everyone who pays taxes above the minimum threshold would receive some type of tax break.

There are too many ifs in Mr. Gore's plan for my family. I was able to go to Mr. Bush's Web site and figure how I could benefit if his plan is passed by Congress. It doesn't concern me that the top 1 percent will receive a tax break also. The Democrats just don't get it. It's the taxpayers' money, not the government's.

When I retire I hope to receive Social Security and Medicare benefits. Mr. Gore is for a prescription drug program for all in the Medicare program including folks like Bill Gates and that upper 1 percent Mr. Gore opposes giving a tax break.

As the parent of young children, I understand that the majority of our local tax dollars support schools. We know what the school needs are, not someone in Raleigh or Washington. That is why I support Mr. Bush's plan to return the money to the local school district with as few strings attached as possible.

We have an opportunity on Nov. 7 to vote for candidates who respect the taxpayers and who will restore dignity to government service by electing George W. Bush for president and electing other like-minded candidates. I know this household will be voting for Bush and company.

Patrick Mulkey

Chapel Hill