Groundskeepers Deserve Recognition, Appreciation For the Work They Do

Groundskeepers Deserve

Recognition, Appreciation

For the Work They Do

The recent articles mentioning groundskeepers in conjunction with the recent UE Local 150 disturbance during the Chancellor's installation has infuriated many a Grounds Services employee and led me to write this in response.

If any Grounds Services employees are members of this union, they are not vocal and number only a handful. In fact, no grounds employees were observed to be a part of this small group of protesters. During the ceremony, the majority of the grounds employees were eating lunch between Wilson Library and Dey Hall.

Why were they eating lunch during the ceremony, you ask?

It was grounds' responsibility to clean up the trash resulting from the picnic that followed the installation ceremony. This was not the only contribution Grounds Services made to this historic event. We installed sod in the barren areas of the quad two days prior to the ceremony. We arranged every table, chair and flower in Polk Place. We assisted in hauling in staging, sound equipment and tents. We even lubricated the door leading into South Building to stop a squeak.

Following the event, we removed the tents, tables and chairs, and returned Polk Place to the lovely green space it is. The grounds employees are proud of their contributions to the University Day and installation ceremonies. It is sad that the only mention they receive in reference to this event seems to have a negative connotation.

Beverly M. McJunkin

Administrative Assistant

Grounds Services