High-Scoring Tar Heels Look to Continue Win Streak

The Tar Heels (14-2, 4-1 in the ACC) are ranked No. 1 in the nation by the SoccerTimes.com College Coaches Poll for the second week in a row. The ranking is the highest in the history of the UNC men's program, which is in the midst of an eight-match winning streak.

In this week's other major national polls, the Tar Heels are ranked No. 3 by Soccer America, No. 4 by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America and No. 4 by InternetSoccer.com.

The Tar Heels are second in the country in scoring offense behind Southern Methodist with 3.38 goals per game. They are 12th with 0.81 goals allowed per contest. UNC has the third-best winning percentage in the country at .875.

Chris Carrieri, a junior forward from Stafford, Va., leads the nation in scoring in statistics released by the NCAA late Monday night.

He has 52 points in 16 games this season and leads the NCAA with 3.25 points per game. He also ranks second in the nation with 1.25 goals per game and third with 0.75 assists per game.

Carrieri leads the ACC in points, goals (20), assists (12), points per game, goals per game and assists per game.

Tar Heel senior Michael Bucy is tied for sixth in the nation with 0.69 assists per game.

UNC forward Caleb Norkus ranks second in the ACC in scoring with a total of 33 points.

Swimmers Mack, Quinn Honored

North Carolina senior Summer Mack and sophomore Sean Quinn have earned ACC swimmer of the week honors after they posted strong performances in losses at top-ranked Georgia last Wednesday.

Mack led the Tar Heel women with two individual wins. She took the

100-yard backstroke in 55.42 seconds and won the 100-yard butterfly in 56.32.

In addition, Mack swam a leg on North Carolina's 400-yard freestyle relay team, which won the event in 3:26.97. She was also on the 200-yard medley relay team that took second place in 1:44.67. Mack was an All-American last year in the 100 backstroke.

Quinn swam the 100 and 200 breaststroke, finishing second in both events to Georgia's Kyle Salyards, who competed at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

Quinn's time of 55.80 in the 100-yard breaststroke was a career best, breaking his previous time of 56.07. In the 200 breaststroke, Quinn finished two-tenths of a second behind Salyards with a time of 1:59.09.

Quinn also competed for the Tar Heels in the 200-yard medley relay and the 400-yard freestyle relay.

Tran Named Co-ACC Player of Week

UNC goalkeeper Amy Tran has been chosen to share ACC player of the week honors in field hockey after leading the Tar Heels to a 1-0 overtime win at Maryland on Sunday.

The shutout was UNC's third in a row and the second this season against an ACC team.

Tran leads the conference with a 0.93 goals against average and has six shutouts this season. She split the weekly honor with Wake Forest forward Jenny Everett, who had two goals and an assist against Virginia on Sunday.

Tran has started all 17 of North Carolina's games this season and has given up 16 goals. She has made 64 saves for the Tar Heels.