Jazz, Classical Merge `In Gabrieli's Garden'

Classical and jazz chamber music meet tonight in a collaborative performance featuring the music of great jazz and classical wind composers.

Entitled "Miles Davis in Gabrieli's Garden," the concert consists of separate performances by UNC jazz and wind ensembles.

With a title inspired by jazz musician Wynton Marsalis's classical album In Gabriel's Garden, the concert places an emphasis on chamber music, which is an intimate style focusing on small-group performances, said James Ketch, UNC's jazz band director. The subtle character of the music sets it apart from larger ensemble music.

Ketch said the concert is meant to pool the ensembles' followings and introduce these diverse audiences to one another.

The concert's double billing also allows the audience to draw ties between two distinct - but complementary - styles, said senior political science major Branson Page, a member of the jazz ensemble.

"I think hearing them together at the same concert allows the listener to make connections between two seemingly incongruous styles of music," he said. "I can't remember this combination ever before at Carolina, so simply the novelty of it will make the concert interesting."

The classical chamber groups will feature works by Gabrieli and Dvorak, and the UNC jazz ensemble performs a variety of music, including songs from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album.

The most striking parallel between the two groups lies in their grouping of small ensembles, which plays a factor in the performance, said senior music major Ian Zook, a member of the classical wind ensemble.

"The size of the these groups allows the individual voices (of the instruments) to play more prominent roles, and the special chemistry of a chamber group is quite different and exciting."

"Miles Davis In Gabrieli's Garden" begins at 8 p.m. tonight in Hill Hall Auditorium. Admission is free.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.