Later School Days Proposed

Several parents of East Chapel Hill High School students say they are in favor of a a proposal that would allow school to start at 10:30 a.m. once or twice a month, giving teachers more time to get organized.

A public forum Tuesday that focused on the issue included parents on the Student Governance Committee, which comprises faculty, teachers, students and 20 parents of students at the high school.

The school's altered scheduling system is part of a three-year plan to improve time management.

"Parents supported the plan," said David Thaden, principal of East Chapel Hill High School. "The absence of people (at the forum) was an indication of trust on the part of the parents."

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education member Maryanne Rosenman said teacher needs are valid, but she still has concerns about the proposed system.

To make up for the two hours missed on the allotted days, students are losing time in other areas, she said.

"The time to pass between class is being cut by one minute and lunchtime is being cut," Rosenman said. "If time is coming from classes, it's not equivalent. Kids aren't doing more if they have two minutes longer."

Rosenman also said she has concerns about students not having a sufficient lunch break if it is cut by 15 minutes and about how those who do not have transportation will get to school on late days.

But Thaden said the proposal was not taken lightly.

A subcommittee of the Student Governance Committee reviewed at least seven different scheduling permutations before deciding on the one proposed, he said.

"We're trying to provide teachers with some time to do work periodically," Thaden said.

"This program would periodically recapture time in the morning for teachers to do work on department work and staff development."

Although there are 20 teacher workdays in a year, Thaden said those days are often not sufficient.

Teachers are forced to use some workdays for vacation, leaving only a few left over.

"But one problem will be with students arriving at campus before school starts," he said. "We have to make sure those kids who arrive early are supervised."

Chapel Hill High School Principal Mary Ann Hardebeck said her school will not follow the lead of its rival school and will continue a regular schedule.

The Student Governance Committee will vote on the proposed plan at its meeting Tuesday.

Rosenman said that if the plan is approved by the Student Governance Committee, it could be on the school board agenda as early as the third week in October.

Thaden said this proposed scheduling system is rare.

"A similar system was used at a high school in Texas," he said.

"No one in North Carolina is doing this, of my knowledge."

Aldesha Gore also contributed

to this story.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.