New Program Will Help Students Become `Credit-Wise'

I am writing in response to your Thursday, Oct. 19, article, "College Credit - Paying With Plastic Could Cause Trouble." I would like to inform you of a program that I am implementing on this campus designed to help college students become credit-wise.

This semester, I am an intern at Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide working on a program to raise awareness about important money management issues. Our campus is one of 10 colleges where interns are providing this important information.

Developed by MasterCard International, "Are You Credit Wise?" teaches students the basics of smart money management, such as creating and maintaining a budget, paying bills on time, paying more than minimum payments on credit card balances, charging only what you can afford to pay back and understanding the significance of a credit history.

I have been trained to deliver money management tips, distribute educational materials, conduct financial workshops and direct students to financial resources (such as Creditalk.com and MyVesta.org) that reinforce the program's responsible spending and budgeting messages. None of my work includes marketing messages or the opportunity for students to apply for a credit card.

I am organizing at least three presentations at UNC this semester. I hope that The Daily Tar Heel will assist me in letting students know that there are avenues on campus to help them become more credit-wise.

If you would like any additional information, please contact me at 914-5682 or e-mail me at crystal@email.unc.edu.

Crystal Pollard

Junior

Business