Wednesday December 8th

Old, New to Unite On University Day

The University community will come together today to attend the installation of Chancellor James Moeser and to remember UNC's beginnings in celebration of the 124th annual University Day.
The festivities will include alumni awards, an academic procession, the official charging of the chancellor and several performances by members of the Department of Music.
"The highlight of the day is going to be the traditional University Day ceremony, which this year will feature the installation of James Moeser as our ninth chancellor," said Nancy Davis, associate vice chancellor for University relations.
First celebrated on Oct. 12, 1877, under the direction of Gov. Zebulon B. Vance, University Day holds an important place in UNC's history. Vance wanted to create a holiday to observe Oct. 12 as "the day on which the cornerstone of the University was laid."
Today's events will get under way with a presentation of the Distinguished Alumni Awards to this year's recipients. This breakfast will be held at the Carolina Inn by invitation only.
The installation activities, which are open to all, begin in Polk Place at 10:40 a.m. with a concert by the music department's Wind Ensemble. Classes will be suspended from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The official installation of Chancellor Moeser will take place at 11 a.m., including the academic procession.
Moeser also will present an official address as the new chancellor. "(This) is an opportunity for the community - including students, staff, faculty, alumni and friends - to hear the chancellor's vision for Carolina's future," Davis said.
A picnic and reception in Polk Place will immediately follow the installation.
Beginning at 3 p.m. in Carroll Hall and moderated by UNC-system President Molly Broad, the symposium will address the topic of "The Future of the American Research University."
"(The symposium) will hold a lot of interest of faculty members, as well as others," Davis said.
A concert in Hill Hall auditorium featuring the UNC Symphony Orchestra will close the day's events. Moeser's wife, Susan, will play the organ at the concert.
Interim Provost Dick Edwards said a high turnout is expected from students, faculty, alumni and community members. "The weather is going to be terrific, and the sky is going to be Carolina blue," Edwards said. "It's going to be a great day."

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021