Panel Focuses on Domestic Violence

The Domestic Violence Advocacy Project and Lambda Law Student Association sponsored a panel discussion at the School of Law featuring three local human services workers who brought firsthand perspectives to the topic.

DVAP committee Chairwoman Holly Bryan said she created the panel because the issue is often underestimated. She said domestic violence occurs in both heterosexual and same-sex relationships with the same statistical frequency.

"October is Domestic Violence Month, and this is kind of a topic not discussed even during the month," Bryan said.

Susan Borgesi, the ARISE community response coordinator (formerly the Orange/Durham Coalition for Battered Women), and Sabrina Garcia, the domestic violence and sexual assault coordinator for the Chapel Hill Police Department, were two of the panelists who shared their opinions.

"Domestic violence stems from the need of the batterer to have power and control over their victim," Borgesi said of the similarities between both heterosexual and homosexual relationships.

She noted that a homosexual batterer uses similar methods, such as coercion and threats, to heterosexual batterers.

But she said the threat of "outing" the victim creates an additional dynamic. "You're talking about a whole new set of baggage added on to the victim."

The panel noted that ambiguously worded laws lack clear protection for same-sex relationships.

Those dating in same-sex relationships but not living together also do not have the legal protection those in heterosexual dating relationships have.

For those who do press charges and enter the court system, Garcia said, "You have to remember this is an open court . and it's really frightening to sit there and open up your private world."

Because of these factors, Beth Froehling, a panelist and a 1992 UNC law school graduate who works for the Durham County attorney's office, said she recalls only a handful of same-sex cases and that she was "sure we weren't getting all the cases."

Garcia noted local efforts to combat domestic violence. The Chapel Hill Police Department has two specialized trained units, one based in sexual assault cases and another focused on domestic violence. It also has a 20-year-old Crisis Unit, which now aids in high risk incidents of domestic violence.

These organizations are available to provide assistance for both same-sex and heterosexual domestic violence.

But despite the progress in handling domestic violence, panelists said there is a need for improvement. Garcia concluded her presentation with, "We have a lot of work to do, care to join us?"