Parker Resurfaces in UNC Backfield

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - Willie Parker saw an opportunity Saturday at Virginia and seized it.

He grabbed a chance to go back in time, to his happy place - the start of North Carolina's 2000 football season and practice.

"Coach told us at the beginning of the game, whoever made plays would stay in the game," the redshirt freshman tailback said. "I tried to make the most of it."

Brandon Russell started the game, as always, at tailback, but gained 1 yard on two carries in UNC's opening series. When the Tar Heels got new life on the drive with a UVa. roughing-the-punter penalty, Parker got the call.

His first carry since the closing minutes at Florida State on Sept. 16 resulted in a 4-yard gain. The Tar Heels went to him again. This time he gained 9 yards off right tackle.

UNC went to him seven times in nine plays, including an errant pass attempt, after the penalty as it marched down the field for three points. Parker rushed six times for 25 yards on the drive en route to 71 on the afternoon. He also caught two passes for 26 yards.

"It felt good," Parker said. "It felt like my old times, old ways, spring ways."

In his old times, he impressed coaches in preseason practice so much he emerged as the clear choice as the opening-day starter. But his spot at the top of the depth chart didn't last long.

Russell got the nod against Tulsa when Parker was bothered by his back that week and has started all eight games for the Tar Heels.

Parker stands as the team's fifth-leading rusher with 121 yards after his performance against the Cavaliers.

Parker carried 10 times for 17 yards and two touchdowns against Tulsa and picked up 24 yards the next week at Wake Forest. He eventually fell to third on the depth chart behind Andre Williams and has barely been heard from since.

That is, until Saturday.

"He showed quickness early in the game; he's been practicing well," UNC coach Carl Torbush said. "All three tailbacks are good players, and there's just one football. Willie performed well today and looked like Willie Parker from last spring."

Perhaps Torbush saw some renewed energy recently from Parker in practice. Perhaps Torbush's frustrations with the running game finally got to him, and he just decided to shake things up a bit.

Whatever the reason for the opportunity, Parker was ready to take advantage of it.

"I'm never down on myself," he said.

"You've just got to go from the positive. If you go negative, you just start feeling negative like you ain't nothing. You've got to have a positive mind-set."

At least one of his teammates has confidence in Parker, as well, and hopes to see more from him in the future.

"I think Willie is a talented running back," quarterback Ronald Curry said. "He just hasn't had a shot this year.

"Hopefully he'll play more."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.