Seawell Leader Earns Principal of Year Title

Principals in Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools unanimously chose Mack, principal of Seawell Elementary School, for the honor.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools spokeswoman Kim Hoke said Mack's leadership at Seawell made her an outstanding candidate for the award.

"One of Deshera's many important leadership positions includes the Minority Achievement Committee that consists of a group of teachers, principals and parents who plan to increase achievement of minority students," Hoke said.

The annual Principal of the Year award is open to all principals in the school district, with final selection falling to area principals themselves.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education member Elizabeth Carter said area principals do a remarkable job dealing with 600-plus students, staff and parents each day, but Mack seems to have gone the extra mile.

"Deshera Mack adores her school," Carter said. "She is not only an administrator to the students but also a teacher. She loves her administration, staff, students and people overall."

Mack, who has worked in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system since 1993, also has received other awards, including one for outstanding work in education by

the Inter-Denominational Ministerial Alliance.

Mack said she hopes others will see the award as a symbol of her commitment to success for students, staff and the district as a whole.

As part of that commitment, Mack continues to set goals for improved teacher and student performance at Seawell.

"My goals are that all students here are successful and that it is also a safe place for both students and staff," she said.

"I want the school to continue its strive for excellence, increase parental involvement and encourage teachers to get national certification bonds."

Mack will next compete on the regional level for the Principal of the Year award. Hoke said she is confident Mack will bring a high standard of competition to the regional award level.

"She is an outstanding contributor to education on the district and school level," she said.

"Honor is well deserved to Ms. Mack."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.