SECC Solicits Workers' Cash

State employees, including UNC workers, are gearing up to open their wallets to charitable organizations across the state.

The State Employees Combined Campaign, an annual voluntary fund-raising effort, held its kickoff event for UNC on Wednesday in the Great Hall.

Donations will be accepted starting today from 9 a.m. to noon in the basement of South Building and from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in the Health Affairs Bookstore.

During Wednesday's event, representatives from the state agencies set up display tables to inform employees about their donating options.

"We have about 18 agencies present today, which is twice as many as last year," said Brad Nelson, a volunteer at the UNC kickoff helping with door prizes.

"This is because the University is the largest contributor in the state to the agencies selected."

Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Sue Kitchen, co-chairwoman of the campaign, and co-chairman Aaron Nelson, coordinator of University relations, explained the main purpose of the event.

"Agencies are invited so captains and employees can get information on them, win door prizes and have fun," Kitchen said. "The campaign raised $934,703 for the state in 1999, and our goal this year is one million. UNC, including the hospital, is the largest single agency donor in the state."

The SECC is made up of 15 campaign regions and began in 1986 with the authorization of Gov. Jim Hunt.

Nelson said the SECC has grown considerably in the past five years with the purpose of encouraging North Carolina's state employees to donate money to any of the designated 1,000-plus agencies in the state.

The SECC is organized by employees from all state agencies and universities. They determine the dates, theme, goals and charities that will participate in the event.

Nelson said SECC acts as a mediator in the donation process. "All donations are made through the SECC, not to it," he said.

Employees can donate in several different ways, such as payroll deductions.

For an agency to be listed in the SECC Brochure and thus participate in the campaign, it must meet certain criteria.

Agencies must provide written proof of a tax-exempt status for federal and state tax purposes, must have a nondiscrimination policy and must agree to the confidentiality of the contributor list.

At the kickoff, agencies present included the Environmental Federation of North Carolina, Charles House Association and several others.