Senior Class President Stands Behind Aquarium, Asks for Student Support

This letter is written in response to Ashley Stephenson's column entitled "Fish Tank Idea Moronic on Many Levels" that ran in the Oct. 23 edition of The Daily Tar Heel.

As we say in the aquarium business, her article just doesn't hold water. Ms. Stephenson begins her critique of the aquarium with the profound statement that she doesn't "like fish;" or "eating them," "smelling them" or "swimming in places where they live." After careful study, I am pleased to inform Ms. Stephenson that the installation of the aquarium will require her to do none of these things. In all seriousness though, Ms. Stephenson's column, while a bit crude, did raise important questions about the gift that should be addressed. While final plans and specifics are still being worked out, I can assure you that students will not be able to jump into the tank, overfeed its inhabitants or commit any other of the atrocities mentioned in Ms. Stephenson's article. We are also currently developing a feasible and long-term maintenance plan for the aquarium. And that's exactly what it is: an aquarium, not an oversized tank from K-Mart like Ms. Stephenson's piece implied. Further, this was the gift chosen by the seniors who voted. While turnout was not ideal, more seniors participated in the gift selection process this year than in any other year in recent history.

In conclusion, the aquarium will be a striking addition to the new Union, and the senior class administration is counting on the support of fellow seniors to make it a reality. The more people support the gift, the cooler it will be. On that note, we take Ms. Stephenson up on her offer to kick in a plastic scuba diver.

We'll even name it Jumbo to make her happy.

Jason Cowley

President

UNC Class of 2001