Wednesday December 8th

Staff Development Program Allows Student, Administrator Interaction

A staff development program at Culbreth Middle School has opened up opportunities for students and administrators to interact.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week marked the third year that administrators from Lincoln Center have substituted for teachers because of substitute shortages and to give teachers a chance to attend staff development sessions.

Wendy Winer, a sixth-grade language arts teacher, attended one of the staff development sessions on teaching writing and differentiation.

"It's nice for kids to see an administrator in the classroom. It's a good connection for everybody," Winer said.

Neil Pedersen, superintendent of Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, filled in for Winer.

"It's beneficial for administrators to see what's going on, and the teacher left good plans," Pedersen said.

The students also felt that the program was a success. In class on Friday, students covered Edgar Allen Poe's "Gold Bug" and worked on peer editing their papers.

"He's really nice and friendly," Caitlyn Losee said of Pedersen. "I had fun staying late for lunch."

Although the development sessions this year involved an unusually high number of teachers being pulled out of class, the program is helpful.

"The teachers appreciate it, and it helps with instruction programs to have all areas covered," Pedersen said.

Winer said she expected Pedersen would do well with her class because he used to be an English teacher.

It's reassuring to know that in the absence of adequate substitutes, qualified administrators can step in, she said.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021