Student Starts Local Musician Network

One student's vision for a music community has turned into reality with the formation of a new campus group.

Zach Gresham, a sophomore English major, said he wanted to build a bond between area musicians, prompting him to create the new campus organization Musician Ring, complete with its own Web site.

The Web site for Musician Ring is http://musicianring.homepage.com.

Musician Ring serves as a way of facilitating contact between UNC and Chapel Hill area musicians, such as helping groups find new members or other groups to play with.

Gresham said he created the organization because he felt the need for a way to connect musicians.

"There are so many musicians around here who want to meet people and play (music) with people," he said.

Musician Ring has been an official campus organization for less than two weeks.

Group members sat in the Pit this week and relied on word-of-mouth to publicize the organization and recruit people to join the listserv.

Despite its status as a new organization, Gresham said more than 100 people have signed up for the listserv as of Wednesday.

Gresham also said he hopes to get Hip Hop Nation and one of the UNC orchestra groups involved in the organization.

Anthropology and folklore Professor Glenn Hinson is the newly appointed advisor for the group.

Hinson said he feels Musician Ring is a great addition to the University.

"A lot of times, musicians and those committed to creative pursuits often find themselves acting alone," he said.

Hinson said the group's purpose is to build a community atmosphere among musicians and end the isolation they sometimes feel.

He said he hopes that through this organization, members can gain a greater sense of personal creative growth.

Ariel Davis, a junior from Pittsboro who joined the group, said the new organization is well on its way to success because it offers a wide variety of talent.

"I like the ideas behind (the organization)," she said.

"It is appealing to me because you can get in contact with everything and everybody you need."

Gresham said in addition to providing a forum for musicians, he hopes the group is able to provide venues for its members.

"I am hoping to use the (group's) status as a campus organization to play music festivals and concerts," he said.

Gresham also said Musician Ring is open to all musicians and every instrument and style, and no official campus affiliation is necessary.

Hinson said the group hopes to become a solid voice in the music community.

He said, "This ring is an emergent network to sort of join (musical) forces."