Students Don Candidate Costumes

The Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies sponsored a debate in New West Hall between three candidates, portrayed by members of the Young Democrats, the College Republicans and the Tar Heel Libertarians.

Each of the students representing a candidate was introduced and then remained in his role throughout the debates. Justin Johnson played Republican candidate George W. Bush, Matt Jones played Democratic candidate Al Gore, and Russ Helms played Libertarian candidate Harry Brown.

The three mock candidates began the debate with a three-minute speech outlining their platforms to the audience of DiPhi senators and visitors. In addition to displaying their knowledge of their candidates' policies and records, the students also attempted to mimic the personal speaking characteristics of the three candidates.

Johnson emphasized Bush's idea that the tone of the nation needed changing and hit on the candidate's major platforms of Medicare and Social Security reform.

"The role of the president is not to craft the details of legislation, but to have clear policy, vision, a goal and people under you to carry it out," Johnson said.

Jones, frequently moving out from behind the podium to be closer to his audience, emphasized the Democratic Party's platform of social issues and outlined the ways in which his administration would work with the nation's economic success.

"Because we've become so prosperous, we do have a responsibility to the future," Jones said.

Helms used his opening speech to reiterate the Libertarian Party's goal of minimizing federal control over individual citizen's lives.

"I want to give you, the American people, the chance to live your life the way you see fit," Helms said.

After questions from the audience, the rest of the students were given the chance to present their own views on the proceedings.

Some students felt some of the speeches were too emotionally based.

"I would hope that people could make it more philosophical," Johnson said.

But students did not necessarily arrive at the debate with their selection of candidates already made.

"I arrived undecided, and I'm leaving undecided," said John Paul Igoe, a sophomore who regularly attends DiPhi debates.

"But if there is any time to voice your opinion, it is during the election."