Tar Heel Men Capture Meet

CULLOWHEE - The North Carolina men's cross country team won the North Carolina Intercollegiate Championship on Saturday.

The Tar Heels had 40 points and finished 22 points ahead of Duke Team B.

Senior Nick Iauco crossed the line first for UNC and finished fourth overall with a time of 25 minutes, 52 seconds. Matt Weiss and Terrance McRae tied for fifth place with identical times of 26:01.

Jim Martin and Bobby Borbet also crossed the line with identical times to finish tied for 10th. Roger Donaghy took 15th place with a time of 26:26.

Flanagan Places 3rd at NCAA Preview

AMES, Iowa - Freshman Shalane Flanagan placed third individually among more than 200 runners at the NCAA Preview.

Flanagan ran the 6,000-kilometer course in 20:58.6. Junior Kim Timberlake crossed the line 58th in 22:12.8.

Colorado's Kara Wheeler won the race with a time of 20:27.3, and Erica Palmer from Wisconsin finished second in 20:56.7. BYU finished first as a team.

Women's Golf Finishes in 9th Place

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The North Carolina women's golf team finished in ninth place with a total of 940 at the Mercedes-Benz Women's Collegiate Championships.

Duke continued its dominance this season by defeating the field of 15 teams with a total of 890.

Duke's Vira Nirapathpongporn, a freshman, captured the individual title with a 1-under-par total of 215. She fired a 3-under-par 69 in the final round.

Abby Spector led the Tar Heels with a 13-over-par total of 229 to finish tied for 15th place. Senior Shelley McKevitt tied for 34th place at 235, and freshman Ashley Prange finished the weekend tied for 41st place at 238.

Beth Lever ended the weekend tied for 61st place at 247, and Heather Angell tied for 62nd place after a three-day total of 248.