UNC Jews Face Choice Between Faith, Academics

Participants in Monday morning's Yom Kippur services had to compete with the blaring noise of jackhammers as they raised their voices in song.

But it was not the distracting construction sounds that pulled sophomore biology major Toby Osofsky away from the ceremonies held in the Student Union - it was her 11 a.m. class.

Osofsky was one of the many Jewish students who spent Monday balancing academics with her faith's tradition of fasting and praying on Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement.

"This is the first place I've been where they didn't cancel classes," said Osofsky, who went to high school in New Jersey and Florida.

Canceled classes were also the high school norm for sophomore David Chapman and senior David Willner. The two said they were frustrated that the University did not make better accommodations for the holiday.

"I think it's absurd that students should have to choose between a 3,000-year-old heritage and their class responsibilities," said Chapman, an international studies and drama major from Chicago.

He said some students chose to remain with their families for the holiday, a choice that sophomore Michelle Meier made last year. Meier said observing the holiday was more difficult this year because she had to stay on campus to study for upcoming exams.

Freshman Elizabeth Manekin said being away from home and making her own choices about worship intensified her holiday experience.

"I feel like I'm thinking about it more," said Manekin, a Baltimore, Md., native. "I wasn't even going to go (to services) last night, and then decided to at the last minute. If I was with my family, (not going) wouldn't have been an option."

Students' conflicts started after the fast began at sundown Sunday.

Liz Kistin, a freshman from New Mexico, stayed up until 3 a.m. Monday morning writing a paper, which she turned in moments before skipping two classes to attend the morning service.

"I've never lived in a large Jewish community before," she said. "Making the choice to stop and pause, deciding to take a break, has always been a big part of the holidays for me."

Osofsky's holiday began with a few extra minutes of sleep, gained by sacrificing showering, brushing her teeth and eating breakfast, acts given up for Yom Kippur. Osofsky arrived at a 10 a.m. service in the Student Union dressed formally but simply, with little desire to explain the reasons behind her plain appearance. "I almost (tell people) but then realize it doesn't matter," she said. "My health and happiness are more important."

By 3 p.m., Osofsky had changed into sweats, with the effects of hunger wearing on her demeanor.

"I'm just out of it," she said, visibly fighting fatigue. "I really shouldn't be thinking of myself, but all I can think about is breaking the fast and what kinds of foods I'm going to eat."

Osofsky broke the fast at about 7:20 p.m. along with the rest of the Jewish community.

But Kistin had little time to enjoy her meal before club soccer practice began at 8 p.m.

Willner had to alter his academic commitments on the holiday by cutting his exam study session short to join his friends in breaking the fast.

But by this time, Lenoir Dining Hall had closed, and Willner joined Meier and Chapman at Top of the Hill to feast.

"I had to leave (the study session) because I was starving," Willner said over his long-awaited steak dinner.

Revived by their meal, the students recognized that their hardships were shared by other faiths in the UNC community. "There's a lot of general ignorance of the Jewish faith, but I'm sure there's more ignorance of Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.," Chapman said.

Trials endured throughout the day were put into perspective by thoughts of fellow Jews outside of the United States.

Osofsky said, "I'm just glad we don't have to pray in hiding, like Jews in other parts of the world."