UNC Loses Singles Matches, Wins 3rd Place in Doubles

The North Carolina women's tennis team advanced to the singles final rounds for the second weekend in a row.

UNC won three singles flights last weekend in the Lady Gamecock Fall Tennis Classic but fell short in all three singles finals on Sunday in the Carolina Classic.

In the A singles flight, UNC's Marlene Mejia was defeated by Ansley Cargill from Duke 6-3, 6-3.

Sophomore Kate Pinchbeck lost to Hillary Adams of Duke 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 in the B singles flight. Representing the C singles flight, Courtney Zalinski fell to Anla Dumitrescu of Virginia Commonwealth 6-3, 6-4.

In singles consolation play, Kendrick Bunn defeated Lindsey Peel of UNC-Greensboro 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) for ninth place of flight A. UNC junior Caroline Hill defeated teammate Elina Bairos for third place of flight B, and Kristin Koenig defeated Patty Devlin of Richmond for fifth place in flight C singles consolation 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-0.

In doubles action, Koenig and Zalinski earned third place in the flight B doubles.

UNC will compete in the ITA Southeast Region Championships on Nov. 2-6 in Winston-Salem.

Men's Golf Places 14th in Tourney

DALTON, Ga. - The North Carolina men's golf team struggled with a 314 in the final round of the Carpet Capital Classic and finished in 14th place with a total of 914.

Georgia Tech held on to defeat the 15-team field with an total of 870 after carding a 304 in the final round. Clemson made a charge, firing a final-round 301, but it fell one stroke short of the Yellow Jackets. Georgia claimed third place at 874, Florida finished fourth at 883 and East Tennessee State finished fifth at 884.

Kyle Thompson of South Carolina captured individual medalist honors, firing an 8-under-par 208 after carding a

2-under 70 on the last day. Bryce Molder of Georgia Tech was the runner-up at 211.

Freshman Dustin Bray posted the best score for the Tar Heels with a three-day total of 226 to tie for 36th place. Ramon Bescansa finished one stroke back at 227 in a tie for 42nd, and Whitten Meares carded a 228 and finished in 49th place. Richard Treis tied for 62nd at 235, and Rob Simmons tied for 67th at 237.

The 54-hole event was played at The Farm, a par-72, 6,906-yard layout.

Football Game Time Announced

The North Carolina football team

(3-2) will host to N.C. State (4-1) at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at Kenan Stadium.

The game will be televised by ABC.

This will be the Wolfpack's first visit to Chapel Hill since 1996, when the Tar Heels defeated the N.C. State 52-20. UNC has won seven consecutive contests against its in-state rival, which lost to Clemson on Saturday.