Week's Events Celebrate Diversity

Coordinated by the Campus Y and Students for the Advancement of Race Relations, the week will include a variety of events designed to encourage communication and education among students of varying backgrounds.

"People like to associate with their own race," said Jermain Reeves, SARR member and head coordinator of the event. "We need to mix a little more. We can really learn a lot about each other."

Later Monday evening, a dinner was held in the Carmichael Ballroom to discuss racial profiling.

The events continue today with an open-mic discussion presented by the Living with Compassion Series and the Cultural Diversity Committee of the Black Student Movement. The discussion will be held in the Union Cabaret at 6 p.m. to give students the opportunity to talk about improving race relations on campus.

"We're trying to be candid about racism and let people know that racism still exists," Reeves said.

Scheduled for Wednesday is another dinner discussion, led by an alumni panel and addressing the topic, "Taking Your Convictions Into Your Careers."

Keynote speaker the Rev. Michael Bruce Curry will speak at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Union Auditorium on the relationship between race and religion, particularly in North Carolina.

Curry is the first black bishop of the Episcopal Church in North Carolina, is highly involved with the Winston-Salem NAACP and serves as a leader on the Board of the College Preachers.

"The highlight of the week is the Bishop because we've never had a speaker talk specifically about the connections between race and religion," Reeves said.

On Thursday, a discussion titled "Trash Talk: Oreos, Apples and Bananas" will be held in Union 211-212 at 6 p.m. to examine how behaviors define race, including the use of labels.

Closing events on Friday and Saturday will include a lip-synching competition, bowling and volunteer work at the Habitat for Humanity site in Carrboro.

"I think the dialogue on race on campus still hasn't reached a point where we can address the issue surrounding race," said Rudy Kleysteuber, co-coordinator of the week.

"This event is designed to pull people outside of their comfort zones so that we all become more comfortable talking about race relations."