Women's Soccer Seeded 3rd in ACC Tournament

The North Carolina women's soccer team (13-3, 4-3 in the ACC) has received the third seed in the ACC tournament, which begins Thursday at Koskinen Stadium at Duke.

Losing three games in a season for the first time since 1980, UNC dropped to sixth this week in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. Notre Dame, Washington, Nebraska, Clemson and UCLA make up the top five. Virginia (No. 14), Florida State

(No. 16) and Wake Forest (No. 22) are also ranked in the top 25.

The Tar Heels will play the opening game of the ACC tournament at 1 p.m. against sixth-seeded N.C. State in a quarterfinal match. UNC defeated the Wolfpack 3-0 in Raleigh on Oct. 11.

No. 2 Wake takes on No. 7 FSU, No. 4 Virginia plays No. 5 Duke, and No. 1 Clemson goes against No. 8 Maryland in Thursday's other quarterfinal matches.

The UNC-N.C. State winner gets the WFU-FSU winner Friday at 6 p.m. in the semifinals. The title game is at 1 p.m. Sunday.

<b>Men's Soccer Moves Up</b>

The North Carolina men's soccer team is ranked No. 2 in this week's NSCAA poll, released on Monday. The ranking is UNC's highest ever in the NSCAA poll, eclipsing a No. 3 ranking on Sept. 22, 1987.

UNC (16-2, 5-1 in the ACC) has won 10 consecutive games with one game left in the 2000 regular season.

The Tar Heels were ranked No. 1 in the last two SoccerTimes.com polls, determined by a voting panel of 15 NCAA Division I head coaches. The new SoccerTimes.com poll will be released today.

North Carolina returns to action Sunday at No. 19 South Carolina.

<b>Volleyball Holds Senior Night</b>

North Carolina's volleyball team plays host to N.C. State at 7 p.m. tonight in Carmichael Auditorium for Senior Night, the last regular season home match of the season.

Seniors Liz Feldman, Lisa Fryer and Casey Simpson will be honored immediately following the match. UNC is

21-5 overall, 11-2 in the ACC.