3 Resign, Eyeing SBP Position

Michael Woods, student body secretary, Annie Pearce, Academic Affairs Committee chairwoman, and Dustyn Baker, executive assistant to the student body president, relinquished their current positions to run for student body president.

Assistant Student Body Secretary Fred Hashagen resigned to manage Woods' campaign, and Chairwoman of External Relations Jessica Triche resigned with an intent to manage junior Justin Young's campaign.

The executive branch of UNC student government has traditionally required Cabinet members with plans to be involved in campaigns to resign in order to prevent conflicts of interest. Their resignations were due by 5 p.m. Sunday.

"I want to maintain the traditional policy of neutrality this year," said Matthews.

"Being on the Cabinet and participation in the campaign process both require major time commitments, and this policy ensures the practical ability of those involved to contribute effectively to their interests."

Those who resigned were optimistic about their plans.

"I have really come to realize the possibilities of student government through my experience this year," Baker said.

"I plan to reach outside of the traditional group of leaders and encourage others to get involved."

Woods expressed similar sentiments about his ideas for student government at UNC.

"I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have served as secretary, and I feel I have worked as hard and created as much within this administration as I can," he said.

"I'm looking forward to the opportunity to contribute more to student government in the future."

Hashagen also was pleased with his decision to resign.

"I feel great about my role as Woods' campaign manager and feel like I am the first beneficiary of his outreach," he said.

"Hopefully we can work to make student government more accessible to the student body."

The process to fill the vacancies left by the resignees will vary according to position.

A new student body secretary will be appointed to assume Woods' position.

"We're going to work hard to transition the new appointee," Woods said.

Matthews wished those leaving the Cabinet luck and offered advice for their future endeavors.

"I thank you for your service, what you have done and your desire to continue in student government," he said. "Be sure to maintain your sanity; this is a heck of a roller coaster you are about to embark on."