Aldermen Support Bus Plan

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen voiced its unanimous support Tuesday night of the Triangle Transit Authority's proposal to increase bus service to passengers on the Carrboro route.

The board said it supported TTA's efforts to make more frequent stops at Carrboro Plaza, but hoped the proposal would be put into effect earlier than planned.

"They want to push off expanding the Carrboro route until 2001, but we urge them to find a way to do it sooner," said Alderman Diana McDuffee.

She said passengers who ride the bus from Carrboro to Raleigh or Research Triangle Park are not able to make the return trip. They must get off the bus in Chapel Hill and then take a Chapel Hill bus back to Carrboro.

There are only two buses that serve the Carrboro stop in the morning and no buses run there at night.

"It just seems bizarre, that you would get off a bus in the morning, but it wouldn't take you back," she said.

The Alderman discussed recommendations from the Carrboro Transportation Advisory Board that include adding another bus to the two that currently run in the morning and adding three buses at night.

The new routes were supposed to be running by the fall, but progress has been delayed because of problems purchasing new buses.

"That's two years," Alderman Allen Spalt said while laughing. "Think of all the people who go to Raleigh and never come back for two years."

TTA officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Spalt said more buses were necessary to improve the public transportation system in the Triangle area.

"Public transportation needs to be frequent and regular or people won't take it; they'll drive," he said. "It has to take them where they want to go, when they want to go. We need a regular, flexible, frequent service that really serves people's needs."

HectorJiminez, a UNC Hospitals employee from Raleigh, said he rides the bus every day. "The schedule is hard to figure out," he said. "Sometimes they're on time and sometimes they aren't."

Other passengers said they were generally satisfied with the bus system.

JeffRosenthal of Durham said he traveled to Carrboro on occasion, but so far had not encountered much difficulty.

"It's usually pretty reliable," he said. "Ihaven't been disappointed yet."

Jiminez said the only time he experienced problems with the ChapelHill buses was during University breaks.

"When school is off they change the schedule and operate on a reduced schedule," he said. "Ialways have to adjust to that.I think increased service is a good idea."

The City Editor can be reached at

citydesk@unc.edu

------------------------------------------------------------------------