`Brothers' Promise Learning, Laughter

What the Flying Karamazov Brothers are exactly is subject to debate, though world-class entertainers should be somewhere in the definition.

The Brothers will be performing their latest act, titled "L'Universe" (pronounced Looneyverse), in Memorial Hall tonight at 8 p.m.

The Flying Karamazov Brothers started performing in San Francisco in 1973.

They have since had six successful runs on Broadway, co-starred in the movie "The Jewel of the Nile," and appeared on television shows like "Seinfeld," "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Regis and Kathie Lee," to name a few.

"L'Universe" is a combination of juggling, science and comedy in an organized improvisation.

Jennifer Smith, the marketing coordinator for the Carolina Union Activities Board, said that although the performance is structured, much of it will be improvised.

"They are very vague about their performance," Smith said.

"You don't know exactly what they are going to do, which makes it mysterious."

What is known is that the show focuses on explaining the wonders and mysteries of the universe, although the Flying Karamazov Brothers' methods of doing so are not exactly conventional.

For instance, the Brothers get on-stage consultations from experts ranging from Galileo to Albert Einstein, juggle (virtually and in reality) and, during one part of the show, wear devices that allow them to adjust music by moving their bodies.

"Personally, I think it will be the best show of the year," Smith said. "Everyone is going to walk out with their jaw hitting the ground."

The act is produced in conjunction with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Media Lab. The Media Lab provides the Brothers with the gear needed to create this high-tech extravaganza.

The performance was masterminded by Paul Magid, who plays Dr. Dmitri Karamazov.

He is accompanied by Howard Jay Patterson (Ivan), Mark Ettinger (Alexei), Roderick Kimball (Pavel), Gordon Edelstein (the director).

Smith said the show should be interesting to people of all ages.

"There is a little kid in all of us - juggling and magic will always intrigue us. And there is a lot of the element of not knowing what is going to happen, and once something has happened, how they did it."

Tickets can be purchased at the Carolina Union Box Office (located in the Student Union) for $16, $14 or $12 for students, and $28, $24 or $20 for the general public.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.