CHHS to Be Heard at N.Y. Parade

But they didn't seem to mind.

That's because the students, taking part in the almost 100-member Chapel Hill High School choral group, left Tuesday for New York to perform for an audience of millions at this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

And last Friday afternoon's rehearsal was just one of many that took a bite out of lunch break for both the students and choral director Ann Huff. "The kids are quick learners, and they'll get it right," she said. "But they're not ready yet."

The students were preparing to join about 700 members of high school choruses from across the United States at the parade, which will be broadcast nationally on NBC, Huff said.

The student choir will perform three numbers choreographed by renowned show choir choreographer John Jacobson, president of America Sings!, the nonprofit service organization that scheduled the performance.

"America Sings! sent us a videotape of John Jacobson doing the choreography so we could begin to teach the students beforehand," Huff said.

"It started out as only two lunches per week, but now it's every day," junior Hallie Zook said at Friday's rehearsal. "We have to be ready or they won't put us on the air."

The performance was not the only thing students prepared for Friday.

As part of the America Sings! Thanksgiving program, students also will support community service projects in New York by donating and preparing food for the needy.

Senior Larenzo Degraffenreidt said helping people was an important part of the group's trip to New York. "This is a good opportunity to perform for lots of people," he said. "And not only that, we're doing valuable community service, too."

Despite being away from home for Thanksgiving, many of the students are excited about their performance.

"Even though we'll be away from our families, we'll be doing something worthwhile," Zook added.

Performing with America Sings! is an honor, Huff said. "You have to be invited. And not everyone gets invited."

But the invitation did not include paying for expenses, so the group started raising funds early for the trip.

The students and their 13 adult chaperones each paid $460 for the trip.

"We've parked cars at UNC football games, sold homemade cheesecakes and cookie dough and did choral performances for donations," Huff said.

But it won't be all work for the group in New York.

The chorus left Chapel Hill at 4 a.m. Tuesday and will return in time for the school's Thanksgiving dance Friday evening. They scheduled extra time to take in some of the sights of the city.

On Thanksgiving night, the group will split up and attend three different Broadway performances, Huff said.

But last week's rehearsals were all work and no play, just a price the group paid for the fun ahead. "I know some of you still have food in your throats," Huff told the students Friday. "But we're one-eighth of the choir, so they're really going to be depending on us."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.