County Re-elects `Progressive' Pair

While a clear majority of county residents will gladly welcome back newly re-elected Orange County Commissioners Margaret Brown and Moses Carey, so will their fellow commissioners.

On Election Day, Brown received 34 percent of the vote and Carey received 33 percent.

Both won back their seats by defeating Republican opponents Wes Cook and David Herman.

Commissioner Barry Jacobs said he is pleased the two commissioners are returning to the board.

"We have a good team," he said. "The issues in that campaign and the results underlie Orange County voters' approval of the course we've been on."

Both Brown and Carey ran on platforms of "smart growth," which includes issues like building more schools and affordable housing, protecting the environment and maintaining open space and recreational areas.

Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis said even before the votes were tallied that he had faith that Brown and Carey would emerge victorious.

"I had no doubts that they wouldn't come back," he said.

"I anticipated the re-election. They are both progressive-minded candidates that care about people and the land."

While collectively both Brown and Carey have worked toward common goals, Commissioner Alice Gordon said each has contributed individually to the progress of the county.

"There are a number of contributions they've both made," Gordon said.

Gordon said Brown has worked well on environmental issues.

"Her leadership in the area of parks and recreation, the environment and open space . I would think those are some of the places she has excelled," she said.

Brown has worked on specific issues like preservation of farm land, and she believes there must be a balance between growth and protecting the environment.

Gordon said Carey, who has been chairman of the board for eight years, has worked on issues concerning human rights and relations.

Carey believes in protecting both rural and urban populations and representing citizens in the county, regardless of geographic location.

Education is also an issue that is high on the agenda for all the commissioners.

Jacobs said the commissioners hope to push forward with an aggressive bond program for 2001 to include education, open space, recreation and other county needs like affordable housing.

But Gordon said issues like education, which includes increasing the number of schools in the area, were proposed long before the smart growth plan entered the scene.

"They have been ongoing," she said. "One of the highest goals for Orange County is education."

Halkiotis said he's been working with Carey for 14 years and Brown for four.

He said he anticipates they will continue to work toward their goals for the County together.

"I consider them brother and sister, we're part of a progressive team."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.