Davis Will Increase Hours, Security

When the Undergraduate Library's extensive repair and renovation process begins Dec. 19, the system of operations at Davis Library will experience a few modifications of its own.

Most noticeable of these changes include an increase in the library's hours of operation beginning Jan. 9, according to associate University librarian for public services Diane Strauss.

Davis will offer 24-hour service with the exception of Friday nights from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 11 a.m.

Davis will also see other changes over the Winter Break.

Strauss said the process of moving much of the Undergrad's resources to alternate locations on campus will occur before Jan. 9.

Most services will be relocated to Davis, although some will be housed in the Wilson Library annex.

"We've explored lots of possibilities concerning the (Undergraduate) library's distribution of services (during the renovation period)," Strauss said. "We feel the way we finally decided to distribute the services and collections is best."

The Undergrad's entire nonprint and book collection will be relocated to the annex behind Wilson, where they will only be accessible via paper and electronic retrieval requests.

Remaining library sources, including reading reserves, electronic reserves, the browsing collection and current Undergraduate Library subscriptions, will be housed in Davis.

Academic Technology & Networks will also provide a 24-hour computer lab on the third floor.

And to alleviate strain on resources, all of the Undergrad's photocopy machines and computers also are being moved to Davis.

Another item high on the list of priorities for Davis' adjustments is safety. With the library's increased hours of operation, officials are heightening security measures to prevent future problems.

Since September, several students have raised concerns about safety at Davis, filing various complaints with University police of indecent exposure incidents witnessed in upper-floor study rooms.

Maj. Jeff McCracken of University police said the department has been working closely with library staff on issues of safety.

"I am in the process of hiring two guards, which will be on duty from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m.," McCracken said. "I don't have any new concerns."

Strauss said guards will be stationed at the circulation desk, and after midnight, only students and faculty members with a valid ID from UNC or other Triangle-area universities will be admitted to the building.

This strategy is the same as the procedure currently used by the University to regulate entrance to the Undergrad after midnight.

Although the public will still be able to access Davis during the day in the same way that they could before, non-University personnel remaining in the building after midnight could be asked to leave in the interest of student and faculty safety.

McCracken said ATN officials also asked that an extra guard be put on the third floor to patrol the computer lab. As a result, three guards will be on duty during the library's 24-hour periods of operation.

The number and magnitude of these changes have left officials optimistic, if cautious, about Davis' new functions.

"The first semester (after the Undergrad's closing) will be one of trial and error," Strauss said.

"I think we will learn a lot, and we will adjust to make it all less traumatic. We have tried to avoid as many difficulties as possible, but inevitably we will experience some problems."