GPSF Approves Funding Requests

The Graduate and Professional Student Federation held its monthly Senate meeting Monday evening, appropriating money to several organizations with little argument or debate.

Larry Kimmel, chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said the GPSF has spent an average of $2,500 a month.

The GPSF allocated $2,780 on Monday night by granting the funding requests of seven organizations.

These included the Student National Medical Association, the Student Health Action Coalition, the Carolina Forum, the School of Dentistry, the Geography Association of Graduate Students, the Graduate Romance Association and the Masters of Public Administration.

Tara Hogan, the GPSF internal vice president and Senate presiding officer, conducted the voting process. GPSF Treasurer Dana Moody was also present.

One program that GPSF members discussed was the School of Dentistry Mexico project, which is a service trip to a Mexican orphanage to provide dental exams and other services.

"This is a good program for the University," Kimmel said. The Senate appropriated $500 to the school for the Mexico project.

GPSF also decided to finance a speech and reception for Gov. Jim Hunt, which the Carolina Forum will sponsor.

"This speech will occur right after the bond issue decision and will be Hunt's farewell speech," Kimmel said before the group approved $200 for the speech. "It will be good for all students."

Senate members also appropriated $750 to the Graduate Romance Association to bring keynote speakers to a Carolina Conference on Romance Literatures.

To conclude the meeting, GPSF members discussed a resolution in support of allowing membership for graduate and professional students in the N. C. State Employees' Credit Union.

The resolution was introduced by GPSF External Vice President Kleem Chaudhary.

The resolution stated that graduate and professional students are not currently considered permanent employees of UNC and therefore are not currently allowed membership to the credit union.

The group accepted the resolution with little debate.

It will now be sent to the N.C. State Employees' Credit Union and Chancellor James Moeser.

The next GPSF Senate meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 4 in 103 Bingham Hall.

The next appropriations meeting is Nov. 27.

Financial requests are due by Nov. 21 to Dana Moody at dmoody@email.unc.edu.