Poll: Students Support Bond, Democrats

Democrats appear to have the UNC campus vote, according to a recent student survey conducted by The Daily Tar Heel.

The DTH conducted a written survey of 270 students in late October which shows that Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore has the majority of the student vote.

The survey, distributed mainly in the Pit, included questions about candidates for president, N.C. governor, lieutenant governor and the 4th Congressional District and questions about the state lottery and the $3.1 billion higher education bond.

Out of 270 completed surveys, 150 students responded in favor of Gore. Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush tallied 75 votes. The remaining 45 votes were divided between other candidates, undecided or a lack of interest.

The survey response for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mike Easley outnumbered the response for Republican candidate Richard Vinroot, as 109 students surveyed favored Easley, while 40 students chose Vinroot. Libertarian candidate Barbara Howe received four student responses.

Of the students surveyed, 226 were in favor of the $3.1 billion higher education bond referendum. But when questioned about their personal knowledge of the bond, almost half of those surveyed had little or no knowledge of bond.

More than 60 percent of students responded that they were "uninformed" regarding the 4th Congressional District election. More than 70 students responded they would vote for Democratic incumbent David Price. Republican challenger Jess Ward followed Price with a total of 25 student survey responses. Libertarian candidate C. Brian Towey received one response.

From the surveys collected, the response for Democrat Beverly Purdue was almost double the response for Republican Betsy Cochrane for the election of lieutenant governor.

Education was the top issue that surveyed students considered most important in the upcoming elections, followed by the issues of taxes and abortion.