UNC Men, Women Trounce Duke

After earning big wins this weekend, the North Carolina men's and women's swimming teams were trying to avoid a letdown.

Neither team experienced such a letdown against Duke as the men trounced the Blue Devils by a score of 184-58 and the women easily won 157-85.

Both teams used a variety of swimmers to wear down the Blue Devils. The men had eight different individual winners, and the women had six.

"I was thrilled with how well we swam tonight," UNC coach Frank Comfort said. "It was real impressive. I couldn't have been more pleased."

The men set the tone early as they dominated the first two events to get out to a commanding lead. In the first event of the night, the 200-yard medley relay, UNC took first and third place. The team of Kert Johnson, Sinisa Haberle, Sebastien Moity and Dan Vick won the event.

Then, in the second event of the night, UNC swept the first three places. Greg Johnson edged out teammate Seth Laughlin in the final 200 yards to win the 1,000-yard freestyle. Laughlin came in second, and UNC freshman Justin Donato took third place.

"We swam a totally different lineup tonight," Comfort said. "We just changed things around a whole lot."

Dave Slawinski, Casey Coble, Stephen Mohr, Yuri Suguiyama, Chris Helin and Judd Glasco also recorded individual first-place finishes.

The women were just as impressive as the men, as the freshmen dominated as they have all year.

In one of the most exciting races of the night, two UNC freshmen battled down the stretch in the 400-yard individual medley. Kelly Weeks took the lead early in the race, but Whitney