UNC's AIDS Week to Feature Films, HIV Tests

From Staff Reports

UNC's World AIDS Day Planning Committee is set to kick off a week of AIDS awareness today in hopes of increasing student knowledge about the deadly disease.

The week will begin with a film screening documenting a fictional AIDS character and will culminate with the World AIDS Day Walk, a chance for the University community to take action in honor of real AIDS victims.

Barbara Jones, a graduate student in the School of Social Work, said the walk sums up the week's activities. "The walk is the goal of the week's events and we're trying to promote that on our campus."

A screening of the film "Philadelphia" will be held at 6 p.m. today at the Wesley Foundation, located at 214 Pittsboro St. Attendees are invited to participate in a discussion to take place after the screening.

Students, faculty and staff also are encouraged to attend a discussion Tuesday night titled, "For Men Only/For Women Only - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About HIV and AIDS But Were Afraid to Ask." It will be held 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in 111 Murphey Hall.

A screening will be held Wednesday night for the film "And the Band Played On." The event, which will take place at 7:45 p.m. in 103 Bingham Hall, is sponsored by Queer Network for Change.

Free, confidential walk-in HIV tests will be offered to students from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday night in the Student Recreation Center.

Also beginning Wednesday, informational materials will be available from representatives from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. through Friday in the Pit.

Organizers of the week will be combing Franklin Street on Thursday night as the "Safer Sex Squad," handing out HIV and AIDS information and educational materials to the community.

The Great Hall will house a display of the Names Project AIDS Quilt beginning Monday and continuing through Friday. The Residence Hall Association is sponsoring the display.

The week's events will conclude Friday with the third annual World AIDS Day Walk at 2:30 p.m. The walk's course will begin on South Road and loop around campus to Memorial Hall. A reception with speakers and refreshments will follow at Polk Place. Students, faculty and staff who wish to participate in the walk are asked to register at 2 p.m. Friday at the Bell Tower.

Krista Park, an employee for the Center for Healthy Student Behaviors, said her involvement in the committee stems from her background in sex and HIV counseling.

"W'ere trying to bring awareness to campus and remind people that HIV and AIDS is still out there," she said. "Participating in active outreach is a means of helping people learn."