UNC's Black Enrollment Tops Rivals'

The University's positive reputation among blacks and minority recruitment contributed to the results.

The survey, conducted annually for the past eight years by the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, stated that black students made up 12 percent of the University's freshman class this year.

UNC Undergraduate Admissions Director Jerome Lucido said the high percentage of black students is the result of the University's efforts to recruit minority students.

"There has been a real strong teamwork approach from the Office of Minority Affairs and Undergraduate Admissions as well as student groups," Lucido said. "(These groups) have pulled together to do a real comprehensive job of recruiting."

He also said the University has achieved a positive reputation among black students.

"There is a greater sense of confidence in this institution among black students and their families," he said. "The University has done a good job of creating a welcome climate."

Lucido said this is not the case at some universities where race relations are more strained than at UNC.

Lucido said UNC received 2,100 applications from black students last year, the highest number to date. But he said the University is still looking to increase the representation from all minority groups, especially Native Americans.

Duke University ranked second with black students constituting 10.5 percent of the student population. The University of Virginia ranked third in the survey, with 10.2 percent black enrollment.

Larry Groves, associate dean of admissions for UVa., attributed the university's high numbers to the school's ability to appeal to black students.

"At one time, blacks were not allowed to go to universities in Virginia," he said. "The university has worked very hard to change that history and make UVa. a very attractive place for black students."

Groves said the university tries to attract black students by speaking with them before they apply and providing programs after enrollment.

But according to the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, UVa.'s numbers have dropped over the past few years after maintaining the highest percentage during the first five years of the survey.

The California Institute of Technology ranked lowest in the survey, with only four black students enrolled in this year's freshman class of 205. According to the survey, no black students enrolled at the school last year.

But Charlene Liebau, director of admissions at CalTech, pointed out that this year's freshmen said the school's relatively small class size and the specialized nature of its curriculum contributed to the low black enrollment.

"Our applicant pool is narrowed by our nature," she said. "It's not that we haven't admitted (more black students), but competition is keen."

Liebau said the school admits that because CalTech is solely for students majoring in math, science and engineering, many students choose to go elsewhere where they have more options.

"Of students who are admitted but choose not to go to CalTech, 75 percent of them choose MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and Berkeley, in that order," Liebau said.

But she added that CalTech is a highly diverse school. Liebau said this year's freshman class is 6 percent Latino, 9 percent international, and 25 percent Asian. Only 58 percent of the class is Caucasian, Liebau said.

"We do have a diverse group."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.