Volleyball Sneaks Past Tigers

CLEMSON, S.C. - The North Carolina volleyball team overcame a two-game deficit to defeat Clemson 3-2 (13-15, 12-15, 15-6, 15-9, 15-13) on Tuesday evening at Jervey Gym. North Carolina improved to 23-6 overall and 13-2 in the ACC with the win. Clemson fell to 12-16 overall and 5-9 in conference action. The Tar Heels jumped out to a 3-0 lead in game five before Clemson fought back and tied the game 3-3. UNC took the lead 10-7 before Clemson tied the game 10-10. The Tigers took their biggest lead of the game at 13-10 before the Tar Heels scored five unanswered points to capture the match. UNC's Nicole Reis led all hitters with 34 kills and 15 digs in the match, and teammate Laura Greene added 22 kills and 24 digs. Eve Rackham had a match-high 81 assists, and Krista Buchholz recorded a match-high seven blocks. UNC jumped out to a 5-1 lead in game one. The Tigers fought back and tied the score 8-8 off a kill by Jodi Steffes. A service ace by Steffes gave Clemson its first lead of the match at 9-8. The lead changed hands until Clemson won the game off a kill by Anne Berki, who finished the match with 17 kills. The Tigers and Tar Heels battled through the second game until North Carolina took a 10-6 lead. Clemson chipped away and tied the game at 12. The Tigers won the next three points, capping off the game with a kill by Laura Jensen. In game three, UNC took a 3-0 lead and never relinquished control. The Tigers closed to within 9-5, but the Tar Heels won the game 15-6. Clemson and UNC battled to a 9-9 tie in game four, but the Tar Heels scored six straight points to win the game.