Break-Ins Rampant Over Break

Over Winter Break last year, a thief broke into Troutman's room in his fraternity house and stole his stereo and television.

Troutman, a junior management and society major, said he thinks that because thieves know when students are on break, they can easily steal students' belongings from their homes. He also said fraternities seemed to be an easy target.

"It's real easy for someone to break in," he said "All they have to do is break in the door and go up the stairs."

But Troutman said he did not know what could be done to stop burglaries during the holiday season.

"Even during the day people are always trying to get in," he said. "So, what can you do when nobody's there?"

Local officials and apartment managers say the answer lies in simple precautionary measures.

Chapel Hill interim Police Chief Gregg Jarvies said the Chapel Hill Police Department does all it can to prevent increased larceny during the holidays. "We try to step up patrols," he said. "But there's only so much we can do. We can't patrol neighborhoods 24 hours a day."

Jarvies also said students have an even greater risk of larceny than other residents because most of them leave for the holidays. "The trouble with students is that we don't find out about the robbery until after they come back from break," he said.

Jarvies said all residents including students should attempt to minimize quiet and dark areas at their homes. "Locks aren't enough," he said. "If it's quiet, they can just bust in the door."

Jarvies recommended leaving lights on and storing valuables with friends that will be in town during the holidays to minimize the risk of burglary.

Jo Ann Perry, manager of Northampton Apartments on Airport Road, also said both students and residents of apartments should do more than lock their doors to prevent burglaries. "People can stop their mail and newspapers," she said.

Perry said thieves in the past have specifically targeted students during the holidays to burglarize. "This time of year there are a lot of little scams going on to find out when people are going to be home," she said.

Perry said residents should watch out for scams such as salesmen who in actuality are casing properties for robbery.

But Bobby Kirby, manager of Stratford Hills Apartments, said telling a friend or relative when you are home could be the best preventative measure. "Make sure you get someone to check on your apartment when you are away," she said.

Jarvies said residents will thank themselves for making the extra effort before leaving for the holidays. "It only takes 30 or 40 minutes to be prepared. It's worth the time to protect your property."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.