Community, Campus Dance in `Wonderland'

The dance was one of two hosted each year by CCC in cooperation with The ARC of Orange County, formerly known as The Association of Retarded Citizens. It aimed to give the mentally handicapped and UNC students the opportunity to interact.

About 80 guests from the two organizations had an opportunity to showcase their dance moves in the Union Cabaret while enjoying food and friends.

CCC, the UNC chapter of Campus Civitan, boasts 65 members and is involved in community service projects on campus, around Chapel Hill and Durham, and in eastern North Carolina.

Members said CCC dances in the past have been well-received by participants. "We've been doing this for several years, and we've had a great response," said Kevin Chapman, CCC co-president. "It's a really great way to bring mentally handicapped members of the community to campus."

Organizers said many of the adults affiliated with The ARC live in group homes and don't always have an opportunity for social interaction. "A lot of these individuals really look forward to and enjoy getting dressed up for these events," said Kim Costello, community relations coordinator for The ARC.

"CCC is a wonderful group, and what they are doing is important because they are not just doing something for the community but providing friendship and a social outlet as well."

And social is definitely the right word to describe Thursday's dance.

"It's really fun to sit back and watch everyone having such a great time together," said April DeCatsye, a junior art history major from Angier.

Erin Potts, a sophomore biology major from Salisbury, said she was impressed by the turnout as well. "Everyone said this was Civitan's biggest event and not to miss it, but I had no idea it would draw this many people."

The crowd responded energetically as a DJ played everything from "Grease" medleys to The Jackson 5. "I'm having fun -- and I'm the best dancer here," said Chris, an ARC member, as he did a very convincing Michael Jackson impersonation.

Party onlookers reflected on the successes of the evening and said the open nature of the event should set an example for service to all UNC groups.

"By opening this up to all UNC students, we were able to give everyone a sense of our partnerships in the community," said Lauren Mann, a junior nursing major from King. "Seeing what CCC does will make them realize how to reach out, too."

And Mann's observations echoed what Chapman views as the event's biggest strength.

"Sometimes people focus on the differences between themselves and the mentally handicapped.

"But walking in Cabaret and seeing the mix of people dancing and having fun together makes you realize we really aren't that different at all."